The choice as to what distribution network fits a specific supply chain best depends on such factors as:
- Type of goods
- Requirements set by the receiver
- Predictability of supply as well as demand
- Consumer value
- Physical and legal restriction, etc..
- The balance of power within a chain
- Economies of scale
- The availability of substitutes
- Service level expectations by end-users or consumers
- The competitiveness between players
Companies should realise that due to the dynamics of the market, technology innovations, local legislation, etc., the outcomes of an assessment may change over time. A rigid approach is therefore dangerous and may effect a companies' competitiveness and ability to create enthusiast consumers.
Via Real has, throughout the past 20 years, frequently been involved in revewing, (re-)designing, implementing and managing of physical distribution systems and networks on both a national, regional and European scale.